Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

Real World connection

By Lisa Belgam on January 21, 2011

Melissa Lehman is a senior intern in the Office of Admission, and she shared the following post with me:

This past weekend, I returned to campus early for a program called Real World organized by Career Services and the Senior Class Council. Friday and Saturday were packed with events where we had the opportunity to meet and interact with alumni. There was a luncheon, several networking receptions, and a variety of panel discussions about different career fields, graduate programs, and fellowships. I attended a panel called “The Road Less Traveled” and heard stories about volunteering abroad, entrepreneurial successes, and many other fascinating experiences alumni have had. On Saturday morning, I had a mock interview with an alumna who works in the non-profit sector. She evaluated my resume, gave me feedback on my interview, and has since e-mailed me with relevant links and resources as I explore my options for next year. Knowing that we will be graduating soon can feel a bit overwhelming as we begin our final semester, so it was nice to be reminded that our Colgate experience doesn’t end in May. It was comforting to see how strongly the Colgate spirit resonates in the real world and the program definitely eased many of our nerves. Check out this video to hear others’ perspectives on Real World and see more photos here.