Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

Summer research: crayfish learning and memory

By Lisa Belgam on July 29, 2011

Alyssa Perez is a summer intern in the Office of Admission, and she shared the following post with me:

I recently met Kate Andrews ’13 by Payne Creek where she and psychology professor Ann Tierney were busy catching crayfish for their ongoing summer research. Kate is spending the summer performing experiments to look at spatial learning in crayfish. “Some experiments examine what type of cues crayfish use when learning and remembering a new environment. Other experiments look at the role of the neurotransmitter, serotonin, in modulating spatial learning and memory.” Kate is interested in pursing a higher degree in neuroscience and was eager to get involved with research at Colgate. “It was really easy to get involved with the research. Professor Tierney is my academic advisor so I expressed interest in her work and she offered to sponsor me for summer research. I love almost everything about research and the summer at Colgate. Campus is even more beautiful than usual and the weather is great. There’s a really friendly, relaxed atmosphere and I’ve met so many great new people. The work is interesting and catching crayfish in Payne Creek is fun!”