Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

Oh, the places you’ll go!

By Caroline Sprague on October 25, 2011

Our supplemental essay focuses on a critical aspect of  Colgate’s education. This year’s supplemental essay question is:
“At Colgate we value global awareness and the diverse perspectives of our students. Through travel, students are able to experience different cultures and take advantage of new opportunities that can make our community richer when they return to campus. If you had the opportunity to travel anywhere in the world during your time at Colgate, where would you go, and why?”

I met a lot of students this fall who asked me if there is a particular country or answer that we’re looking for. Nope! Be creative and honest. Two-thirds of Colgate students study off campus. Last year they traveled to 33 different countries. For your essay you do not need to pick or discuss one of Colgate’s study abroad programs — invent your own. And remember, “why” is the most important part of the question.

The picture above was taken on the Isle of Skye during my semester abroad in Scotland. It was truly a transformative experience for me and instilled a passion for global travel.

We look forward to reading your essay about your upcoming adventures!

5 Comments

• Yihao said:

Hi, I am really confused about this qustion. Can I just choose to stay at Hamilton? Thx.

• Caroline Sprague said:

Hello Yihao,

About two-thirds of Colgate students choose to study abroad for at least a semester, but it is not a requirement and you certainly do not have to. The intent of this essay question is to encourage our applicants to be creative and imagine where they would like to travel if they could go anywhere in the world. There is no right or wrong answer, and you are by know means obligated to travel to the location you select. We also understand that for many international students who are attending Colgate from far away, Hamilton N.Y. may be their “study abroad” experience and the location they would most like to visit!

Let us know if you have any further questions!

• Yihao said:

I’m so happy to get a reply from you especially when I am “struggling with” the essay. I really really appreciate your help. Have a nice day 🙂

• Hitesh said:

I have already submitted this supplement . I found this very interesting. I love this question and I love love love love love love love Colgate veryyy much!

Thank you for being the best college on earth. I can see how friendly the Colgate community would be– I can sense it in your emails. I LOVE YOU!

• Hung Thai said:

I’m still working on this and I see your topic, such an inspiration, thanks so much!!!