Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

Hilary Clinton comes to Colgate!

By Sarah Chandler '16 on October 28, 2013

HilaryClinton

This weekend was an extremely exciting one. Not only was it Parents’ Weekend when my family came to visit me but Hillary Clinton came as well! The Kerschner Family Global Lecture Series, which is held at least once a year and which has brought speakers such as the Dalai Lama, Bill Clinton and Sir Richard Branson to campus, was held on Friday and over 5000 people crowded into the Sanford Fieldhouse to hear the former Secretary of State and Senator speak. It was absolutely surreal getting to see her in person and to hear her talk about her experience as a leader. We weren’t allowed to take pictures during the speech but before addressing the crowd, Clinton spoke with a small number of students and a few of my friends were invited to attend. They have this amazing picture to remember the time they met a world leader (and potential President??). I thought Clinton was a great speaker; she was poised, articulate and very knowledgeable and I particularly loved when she showed off her Colgate knowledge. In the beginning of the speech, she said: “I couldn’t let 2013 go into the history books without visiting Colgate. After all, this is probably the only place in the country where 13 is actually a lucky number.” And it is a lucky year indeed as I got the chance to meet one of my heroes and one of the most prominent women of today.