Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

It’s time to travel

By Susannah Ivory '14 on October 28, 2013

Screen shot 2013-10-24 at 10.55.44 AM

… or at least time to apply to travel! As a senior I want to make sure I’ve crossed everything off of my Colgate bucket list, which includes two different travel opportunities: an alternative break and an extended study.

Alternative breaks are service trips over winter or spring break that are run through the Center for Volunteerism and Education (the COVE). Students get the chance to work closely with a community in need. I am hoping to go to Oklahoma City for a week at the end of this winter break to assist in disaster relief. This year there are also trips going to Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis, and Cumberland County, New Jersey.

The extended study will take me a little farther away: to Russia and Kazakhstan. If I get accepted to the program, I will take a geography and Russian studies class called “Authoritarian Capital Cities of Eurasia” which looks at the layout of capital cities (past and present) in authoritarian nations. The best part about the class is that after graduation I would travel with the class to the cities that we studied: St. Petersburg, Moscow, Astana, and Almaty.

I look forward to hearing back from both of these program, and I’m ready to get packing!