Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

In Writers’ Club, I’m doing the learning!

By Sarah Chandler '16 on November 6, 2013

image

One of the best parts of my week is going to Hamilton Central, the public elementary school in the town of Hamilton,  every Wednesday as part of the Creative Writing Initiative. The program was started a few years ago by Colgate students who wanted to bring more creative writing opportunities to younger students. Through the program, we bring about 6 Colgate students to Hamilton Central every Wednesday to run an hour long creative writing workshop with the students there who are in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade (in total, about 30 students come each week). Colgate students volunteer to lead the lessons and split up between the two classrooms to work with the kids. Every week we pick a different topic to teach, such as persuasive writing, poetry, characterization, and even writing song lyrics.

Being a part of this club is extremely rewarding. The kids are always so excited and never cease to surprise me with their creativity and thoughtfulness. This week was no different; our topic was saying a lot with few words and, inspired by this project by Larry Smith, I challenged each student to try and describe their life with only six words. That’s a hard enough assignment for college students, much less 3rd graders! Their responses, though, were inspiring. One of the students, a 3rd grader, allowed me to take this picture of her sentence. It went over by one word but she really nailed the assignment!

Her six words: “Challenges always take me down good roads.”