Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

Colgate bucket list: Ice climbing

By Susannah Ivory '14 on February 17, 2014
result-2

In my four years at Colgate I have absolutely fallen in love with our beautiful surroundings. Even during the cold winter months, Colgate students find ways to enjoy the outdoors. Whether it is building a snow fort with your friends, taking advantage of the SGA sponsored trip to Toggenburg Mountain for some skiing (only 35 min away), or trekking up to the top of the old ski hill on campus for the best sledding of your life, you never let the snow keep you indoors. This extra cold winter gave me the opportunity to try something I have always wanted to: ice climbing.

Colgate Outdoor Education offers an array of classes where students can get out and enjoy the outdoors while learning a cool new skill with a (as I assured my mom before I left) VERY well trained group of student instructors. Last weekend 10 of us piled into a van,  and armed with harnesses, ropes, crampons, and a tonof snacks, we headed up to the Adirondacks for two full days of climbing. Despite my complete lack of experience and upper body strength, I was able to scale various walls of ice. There is nothing quite like the sense of accomplishment you feel standing at the top of a sheet of ice you just traversed!

result

result-3

result-1