Home Inside the 'Gate
Inside the 'Gate

Even More to be Thankful For at Colgate

By Jake Pulver '16 on November 27, 2015

We featured 13 different things to be thankful for at Colgate just a couple days ago, but there’s more where that came from! See what two students have to say below.

Julia Klein ’19

Even as a first year student, I’m already thankful for the valuable lessons that I’ve learned from being away from home. I’ve gotten to know myself as an independent individual: free to make friends with whom I want, budget my time in any way I please, and binge on Coop Tenders at all hours of the day.

With a few months of adjustment, I’ve learned to take advantage of extra help, and be okay with admitting that I don’t understand every concept on the first try. I’ve learned to frequent office hours and use tutors and review sessions to my advantage. One of the greatest parts of coming to Colgate is that there are so many available resources to assist with academic help and guidance. My professors are genuine individuals who really care about my work and acknowledge my perseverance. And finally, my new Colgate friends are supportive, loving people who are always there for me.

I am thankful for the academic challenges that Colgate provides, and the opportunity to learn amongst and from some of the nicest, most interesting individuals I’ve ever met. To my Colgate family: thank you for making these last three months amazing and I can’t wait for what the ensuing seven and a half semesters will bring!

Lacey Williams ’16

I’m thankful for the staff at Colgate. They are the behind-the-scenes figures that help make Colgate run and look the way it does, and they frequently go under-appreciated. Many people are friends with some of the workers in the dining halls (as I am myself), and the smiles and friendly conversations they have with students really brighten our days, whether they know it or not. I know we all appreciate what they do, but we don’t necessarily tell them how much. In addition, I’m also thankful for those staff members we don’t always see or get to interact with. Over my four years at Colgate I’ve befriended janitorial staff members, gym staff, and administrators in various offices. What I’ve learned and value from these relationships is how hard they all work, but also how much they care about all of the students.